Wednesday 1 December 2021

4 Things I’m Thankful This Year!

As a PMP and CBAP Certification holder - here’s my list of 4 things I am thankful for this year from a professional standpoint.



1.     ‘Problem’ Projects

Challenges excite me. When anything becomes too simple for me, I rapidly become bored. These are the times when I need to stop whining and realise that I wouldn't have it any other way. How can I be innovative and progress as a project manager if I'm not given 'interesting' scenarios to manage?

2.     ‘Problem’ People

I'm not a people person. At least not in the natural world. It's extremely possible that I suffer from a high-functioning version of autism spectrum condition. Working successfully with others has been a 20-year quest for me (still ongoing). After many years as a leader and manager, it's the 'problem' people who have provided me with the challenges I needed to improve my communication, facilitation, and motivation skills with others. They've pushed me to create mechanisms to deal with a variety of circumstances involving people and conflict. Dealing with challenging people has given me the opportunity to create mechanisms for offering direct feedback, enhanced listening skills, and facilitation tactics.

3.     Not Knowing Everything

I am really grateful for my current position as a project manager and senior system engineer, as well as my PMP and CBAP certification, which allows me to oversee two project teams. I haven't done much genuine system engineering work in a long time, but there are so many parallels to excellent project management that it's uncanny. Glen Alleman, I believe, made a comment here once, predicting that people will figure out that project management is a subject of system engineering. In any case, NASA and INCOSE are teaching me a lot about good system engineering principles right now. At the same time, I'm implementing Kanban with both of my project teams, which has proven to be a valuable learning experience. All of this is helping me become a better project manager. It's wonderful not to know everything!

4.     The Internet

Over the last year or so, social media has completely transformed my life. I can't even put a number on how much I've learned from folks I've met through social media sites like Twitter and Facebook. There are numerous links to excellent content. Do you have a question? Inquire among your Twitter followers or Facebook pals. I've met a lot of new people, shared a lot of useful information, and had a lot of fun. I'm quite sure it's a total of 3 tonnes.

Want to learn more about the same? Take on professional credentials such as ECBA, PMP, CBAP, or Agile Certification today!

0 comments:

Post a Comment